Screw Disney; Florida is for Tubing!
I have to admit that nothing is more beautiful to me than the place where I was born. Although tourists commonly check out the many theme parks we have in central Florida--Disney, Sea World, Universal Studios, Wet & Wild, etc.--I always found the most truly magical places to be those where you can just enjoy nature and friends.
One of the best things a friend of mine showed me in central Florida is tubing down the many natural rivers. You can rent a big tire tube for around $5 for the entire day and jump right in! It's the most spiritually uplifting, happy experiences I had that year and I felt so blessed to be able to do something so simple yet so fun with friends.
Here's what you'll need for tubing in Florida:
- Clothing you can get wet in (I don't recommend bathing suits because of the mosquitos, and depending on the time of year, the water can be a tad chilly). I wore a rash guard, speedo under my hijab, and Nike workout pants.
- Water shoes (you can get these at the dollar store--my friends got some and I didn't have time to go so I was stuck wearing flip flops--not a great idea)
- A water-proof camera (the one used for these pictures was disposable, and super fun! We kept throwing it back at each other as we floated along).
- Water! Stay hydrated, as always. (:
- Mosquito repellant--you'll thank me later, depending on what time of year you go.
The river we went to (I can't remember the name but I will check and update this post, God-willing) is actually at a slight incline, so wherever you come in, you wind up just naturally drifting through the lovely, thick green trees and down to the area marked "end" (beyond that point are the gators, so watch out!).
The best part is, at the end the river is so shallow you can stand in it easily. That made it super easy for us to take some finale photos like the one above. What a memory! It's so much better than a theme park--I promise.